Tuesday, August 25, 2009

School Daze

Listen, I know it's not the most original title-but bear with me here.

Substituting should be easy right? I mean, your just filling in. I have a college degree in Education. I have two years of experience. What's the big fat deal here? The big fat deal is that I tried to teach First Graders with IEP's today (individualized education plans). Alright, Third Grade is no problem. First Graders? How do these primary teachers do it?! One little girl didn't know which finger her thumb was. Some of them couldn't find the letter a. One chanted "going to the city in a taxi" the entire time I taught. That was actually kind of amusing.
Miraculously, after I had slammed my head on my desk and thought "What have I done!", the reading teacher came and offered me a lifeline! I'm going to teach them out of a scripted reading program! Shebang! Bonus! Minimal planning, guidance, security... all feelings my long-term sub self is loving. I've been saved!

In other news, November can't come soon enough! I mean I started listening to Sean Watkins non stop again. I always know that means I'm a little depressed! (Like when I sing "I've had enough of these gray streets, endless and empty" at the top of my lungs)
Gosh I married my husband because I liked him and wanted to see him more than once a month! Progress is picking up on the ship and he has a class every night this week. He does have to get pepper sprayed on Saturday then run an obstacle course and punch a padded man... so think of him. Offer up a little positive thought.

Also, my parents cat is no longer a cat. He has become a manatee. (The shoe is for scale)

Love, Kaley

2 comments:

tp said...

also, been listening to more mindy smith lately... well i hereby forbid you from listening to her until you move to cali. i was starting to miss ben and he was coming home in an hour... not healthy.

Anonymous said...

Where is the love for your feline brother? BTW - he LOVES the squeaky mouse. He hunts it down and pounces on it when I least expect it. AND he loves Party Mix treats ;-).