Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Back to School Blues

Let's just say- there is a reason Teaching is listed in most of the top ten stressful jobs list. Now, I'm not inferring I'm more stressed out than, say, a brain surgeon or even someone who wrestles disgruntled alligators for a living. BUT Teaching is up there. As I smoothed a band aid over a child's elbow, resolved a conflict about somebody calling some else a "cry baby", stopped someone from tripping another student, answered 100 questions, resolved a situation where a child had an "accident" (#2), and flipped more cards than I have ever flipped in a day which reacted in a cry fest (Who's a cry baby NOW?!) I thought... I don't get paid enough. I guess there is more thanks to teaching than being a trash guy, but I bet they are not stressed if they mess up on the job. I mean, I do have a lot of support at home, Kitty is a grade A listener. Standardized testing, teaching to the test, NOT teaching to the test...
Today I was like "I wish we could make friendly orange pom pom pumpkins for Halloween" Two problems with this scenario. I would somehow have to align it with the Maryland Voluntary State Curriculum (Text feature BCR?) and also have to pretend that it wasn't related to Halloween due to your friendly neighborhood Jehovah's witness. Spooky Harvest Party anyone? Well, I mean we wouldn't be celebrating... how about "Spooky treat snack break in the middle of an insignificant Friday afternoon"?? I remember doing really fun things in college. I think schools put sleepers into colleges to like SUCK innocent people into the teaching career. I feel like I got no job training, in the field at least. They just kind of dropped you into a pool of blood thirsty sharks. And I don't even mean just children! Okay, I'm sounding kind of bitter and I do apoligize. A wise professor- Teena- once told me one must "Choose your attitude" each and every single day. She was so right! I was feeling inclined to writing her a letter recently:
"Dear Teena,
I was not on fire for teaching today. In fact, I would say I taught with the passion and tenacity of a wet napkin. Teaching is hard. I did not choose my attitude. I also made several children cry out of a campaign of fear and intimidation instead of nurturing a positive learning environment. I guess you could say I made some bad choices and let some 'teachable moments' sink through the sewer hole of life. Though I am forever grateful for your collegiate instruction, I fear I did not take your words to heart today.
Love, your student!"
What do you think she would say???
OK, reality check. I care too much. I love teaching. Why must I love what hurts me and is hard? Like a military husband and a tough as nails career? I will live for the greater good, but I'm just saying I'd rather be a rich house wife with a butler and independently wealthy spouse.
LOVE, Kaley

2 comments:

L said...

I wish your job wasn't so hard, and that your little kids didn't have so many poopy accidents.

BUT the plus side...if your job wasn't so hard, do you think you would still write such hilarious blogs? I submit that you would not.

See you saturday. Hang in there, friend.

Steven. Mr L. Lammy. said...

Oh Kaley how I sympathize and feel your PAIN! The sad part is that I knowingly signed up to expect poopy accidents in kindergarten...but third grade?! You should get a bonus for that.

And for real...I loved Teena and think she was a wealth of knowledge...but did she ever paint a beautified picture of teaching or what!?

Hope the rest of your week looked up dear friend!