Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Where you be at is it?


I heard some old school DC talk in the car today while driving home. It made me think back to a simpler time in my life... when I loved DC talk. You wish there was more to the story than that, but there isn't. I just like them. Once I reordered their "Supernatural" CD. Yeah, we should stick to "Jesus Freak" or... "I don't want your sex".
Okay, My mother says some people get their energy from people and others feel that being with people sucks their soul into an abyss of exhaustion. You know, she didn't really word it that way, but you get my point. You know what makes me mad? Children who like positive AND negative attention. I tried to teach them the meaning of apathy, but I don't think they got the point. I had to bribe a student with a lead pencil if no one tattled on him. He basically injures and harrasses other students behind my back. And he is REALLY good at it. I think he hones his art at every possible opportunity. He was under the impression that every time he... well... didn't injure anyone that he would get a reward. And that's why I go to bed worried about the next generation every night. We got to read "The Boy Who Didn't Believe in Spring" today. It was about a boy who was looking for Spring. And all the while he spoke in Jive slang from the seventies. "Where is it at?" Oh and did I mention his name is King Shabazz. Don't ask me, I don't get it. And neither did they. Thanks Open Court for this peice of crap contribution to the educational society. But on the flip side I drew a PRETTY sweet birds nest to introduce the concept of city wildlife. And the kids wrote in the eggs. AND I'm doing a spider sort for ... the Harvest AKA Halloween or the Devil's holiday.
Here is an analogy for you:
Teaching is to laminating as Children are to trampolines. Didn't you hardcore want a trampoline when you were a kid? I did. I asked and I received. Then it wasn't as cool. The same is with laminating. I am always trying to get people to laminate stuff for me. Not only because children have the destructive force of a herd of rhinos or cage full of cornish pixies, but because I hate doing it so much. I was so jealous of it as a student. I thought teaching would be all sock puppets and laminating. Like a heavenly craft hopscotch. Oh well.
I fear I am rambling, but that's what happens when you talk to the cat all evening. I might buy myself a crazy cat lady figurine.
Love, Kaley

1 comment:

Jenny B said...

hilariousness. i can't believe they make you read that book with the kids...