Thursday, May 31, 2012

hatfields and mccoys.

Nick had me watching "Hatfields & McCoys" on History Channel.  Did you know my kinfolk are from West Virginia?  They are.  They are indeed.  I originally wanted to watch it, but then everyone kept murdering each other with muskets and it seemed really painful.  I watched through my hands or while doing some other task to avoid any especially violent scenes.

Seeing violent hillbillies naturally got me to thinking on my own relatives.  Especially Grandma Dean, my Granny's grandmother.  She was short and if I'm recollecting correctly, very mean.

Here is a picture of the West Virginia family:

Grandma Dean is the short on wearing black in the middle.  Granny and Granddad are the young ones two over to the left.  
Here is a picture of the Hatfields:

source.

Just as interesting as the musket balls a-flying was hearing all the exotic hillbilly names in the TV series.  Johnsie, Levicy, Ock, Alifair, and so on.

All in all I would recommend watching what West Virginian's were allowed to get away with in the post civil war mountains.  I only have beef with two things.  They filmed the series in Romania and their beards were MUCH too tame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, give the people in the family picture some guns and it's basically the same picture. Just kidding! :-).
Mummsie