Nick's favorite dessert from across the pond is a trifle. I've never made one before. Armed with directions from his mom, and some british Birds custard from the commissary, I attempted to assemble this tasty confection. Determined to do this up right, I even purchased a trifle bowl. I know right?
It was hard to do. Mostly because you have to follow directions. Aaaand I did it while Owen was awake. I don't follow directions very well, not because I don't want to, just because I can't. Maybe that's why I was so bad at geometry...
Here's what I did.
- Made a cake... from a box.
- Cut up cake, put in trifle bowl.
- Made gelatin... from a box.
- Poured jello over cake, let set overnight.
- Made Birds custard. Had to figure out how much a pint was. Employed "Gallon man" from elementary school days. (It's two cups.)
- Let set overnight.
- Whipped my own cream. Realized whipped cream isn't sweet unless you add sugar.
- Added sugar to whipped cream.
- Cut up strawberries.
- Assembled trifle, garnished with sprinkles.