Thursday, February 10, 2011

perfection. not possible.

While listening to pop radio a Pink song came on.  I was too worn out to change the channel and resigned myself to listening to her new song.  The chorus went something like this:  Don't ever think you're not perfect, if you ever think you're nothing, you're perfect to me.  Okay, I am also too worn out to check the lyrics, but I'm pretty positive that's close to correct although I may have left out an expletive or two.

These lyrics got me thinking about our culture.  It's all about self realization and loving yourself and blah blah blah insert psycho babble here.  This is a load of bull.  We are far, far, far from perfection.  All of our pain comes from striving for perfection and control when we cannot possibly obtain it.

My pastor often quotes Jack Miller who says "Cheer up, you are worse off that you ever thought, but God's grace is greater than you ever imagined!"  Oh we are messy, weary, weak, and sinful.  That's how we have to come before the Father.  He doesn't want perfection.  He knows that we can not achieve it.  He wants us to take shelter in his Strength and give him the glory.  Guess what?  You are not perfect.  Me neither. You can't do it.  I can't do it.  Rely on the Lord, He'll show us what to do!

The Psalmist says in 31: 6-8

I hate those who cling to worthless idols;
as for me I trust in the LORD.
I will be glad and rejoice in your love,
for you saw my affliction
and knew the anguish of my soul.
You have not given me into the hands of the enemy,
but have set my feet in a spacious place.

You know what I love about the Psalmist?  He kept it real.  He didn't say, I trusted you Lord because it was easy and I was already getting along pretty well on my own.  He said, I'm afflicted, my soul is in anguish, you delivered me and I trust you!  I need to admit more often what a hot mess I am and lean on the Lord.

I don't know why this Pink song set me on a rant, it's probably because she needs Jesus.  Just like I do.

2 comments:

Filia Dei said...

You have to see the video. I think the song is about beauty and perceived beauty.

Love or Nothing said...

that's one of my favorite verses.. thanks for writing, that was an awesome post. :)