Friday, January 15, 2010

My Dorkiest Post Yet


I don't want to prematurely "let the cat out of the bag", but I'm a pretty big fan of fantasy. Especially epic fantasy. Tolkien paved the way for escapist fantastical novels. Novels through which he created an entirely new world with new mythologies, creatures, and cultures.
As a rule I do not respect fantasy movies that didn't come from books first.

Exception to the rule: Avatar.

This is the first 3D movie I've ever seen. It was also awesome. Go see this in the theaters. I fought, tooth and nail, not to go to this movie. I thought it looked dumb, I didn't believe the hype. The hype is real. Go see it.

Reasons to go:
  • reptilian/insect-like mammal creatures
  • porpoise/reptilian birds? (See? you'll go just to make sense of that!)
  • love story!
  • special effects
  • pandora
  • attention to detail
  • really well cast bad guy

I mean I did kind of expect the main character to morph into Aragorn and lead the army to the gates of Mordor. At one point I thought I saw Luke Skywalker getting congratulated by the rebel forces for destroying the Death Star. So what if this movie was as if Star Wars and Lord of the Rings had a baby? I even think Treebeard made a cameo as the "Tree of Life" and was quoted as saying "I"m on no one's side because no one is on mine". There is even a bioluminescent forest just like Lorien. Towards the end there I felt like there was a Native American/ manifest destiny sort of parallel as well.

Point being- go see it. It's so mega super cool. I don't even care how lame and geektastic I sound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this is weird Kaley, but I'm now sure that I can see Avatar and like it. I was totally skeptical but I have a feeling that a girl who seems to read all the same books I do wouldn't lead me wrong.