Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Homeless People

San Diego really does have some of the best weather, anywhere. Right now there are no clouds in the sky and it's 71 degrees. Oh, and it's January. Pretty nice right?

Lots of people are attracted to the sunny weather here. That's why I can't get a job. Too many people. People including Homeless People. More than you've seen on the East Coast. My heart goes out to these people. There is one man in particular who is bearded and stands on an intersection near my house. His cardboard sign just says "Hungry". You see a lot of signs here. Hippies with signs that say "Traveling to Albuquerque" or drunks with signs that say "Why lie? I just want a beer". Nothing get's me like a sign that says "Hungry". Here is this man standing in an intersection surrounded by Del Taco, In n out burger, Xtreme pizza, and yet- He's hungry. The first time I saw him I was too far away to offer him money, but man did I want to. The next time I saw him was late at night and I was the only car on my side of the intersection. I began to chew my nails. Here was my chance! You know what? I didn't do it. I thought of major reasons why. "I'm just a little girl" "It's dark" "It's late". What if that guy was an angel?


3 comments:

Love or Nothing said...

i saw a lot of homeless guys in DC when i worked there.. and giving them money seemed like a bad idea just in case they really did want to use it for drugs and stuff. so you should buy him some McDonald's and give it to him :)

ps. i hope you can get "this ain't sea world" out of your head.. "i got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies" is forever stuck in mine.

Filia Dei said...

I agree. Debbie Cavallaro used to give them bags of food from the grocery store.

Mother said...

What if he's a mass murderer or a maniac just waiting for a young girl to take pity on him? You let Nick stop and give him money. My heart goes out to him too but you're my only daughter and being hungry would be the least of his problems if he did something to you. (Just your over-protective Mom talking).