Wednesday, May 23, 2012

outside.

One of the first things that struck me about California was that so many people were outside.  Jogging, sprinting, cycling, skateboarding, walking dogs, panhandling...
I went outside too, convincing myself that I was an outdoor person.  Had I forgotten all those years, every year of my life, in Maryland where I stayed inside all summer unless I was in a pool?

Well, no one is out and about in Mississippi unless they have to be.  It's too _____ hot.
(Use the blank as you will.  I know what I'm putting in it)
The wilderness has waged war against our little house.  Nick found a snake on the doorstep and wasps are building nests inside the siding of our porch.  We've sprayed all types of laboratory made, carcinogen containing insecticides all over the yard and house.  There has been a marked improvement, but still danger lurks.

In lieu of going outside I've spent a fair amount of time daydreaming about curtains, throw pillows, and I even went of google earth and drove around San Diego and Maryland.

The people of the South are made of tougher stuff than I.  Perhaps that's why it's said that they will "Rise Again."

No comments: