Sunday, April 3, 2011

water for elephants.

For whatever reason I was fascinated by the sight of Reese Witherspoon riding an elephant in a 1930's circus.  Although I am loathe to read adult fiction because of all the sex, drugs, and rock and roll, I picked it up anyway to read during my flight.  I finished it. 
It had numerous... uh... graphic... uh... scenes in it of a .... sensitive nature.  The kind where as you are reading you pray no one is reading over your shoulder and judging you.  There is also a paralell story line of the main character in his nursing home.  This story line is mega depressing.  The imagery was vivid.  The storyline in general was great.  It's about an ivy league veterinarian who, when left with nothing, jumps on a circus train and then falls in love with the lady on the elephant and tries to train said elephant. 
I would not reccomend this book.  I wouldn't.  But now I'm invested in seeing this train through until the end.  That means I'll see the movie.  The movie will most likely be worth seeing.  I assume Hollywood will cut out all the gritty, dirty parts and paint it as a romance.  I'll let you know when I see it.  In the meantime watch the extended trailer.  It's worth it.

3 comments:

cottage girl said...

I've been contemplating reading that. I love your review. Completely understood what you meant. I think we need to write book reviews for each other because we think the same way when it comes to books. Then I would really know what I was getting myself into when I started a book.

ps..I hope I get to see you whilst you are in town.

Gina said...

I got it from the library and returned it without reading it. I have an aversion to books that have the actors form the movie on the cover. That was the cover of my book. Weird. I know. Then I saw the preview for the movie. Is it totally based on the vet and Reese cheating on her husband? Glad I returned it. I have read books before that I had the same feeling of hoping noone was looking over my shoulder in judgement. It was Oprah's Book Club choice FREEDOM. Raunchy. But once you are in, it's hard to quit.

Nick and Kaley said...

Gina- It was kind of about the cheating, but they didn't cheat until she had made up her mind about leaving him towards the very very end... not that it makes it any better.