Thursday, March 3, 2011

certified wizard?

I am a certified California teacher of subjects.  I'm also certified in Maryland.  How does one become certificated to teach at Hogwart's?  Are wizard children home schooled until they enroll at Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the tender age of 11?  What if their parent is an important ministry employee?  Do they go to wizard daycare?
These and many more questions frequently haunt me when I am monitoring recess.  It got me to thinking about the different teaching styles of the Hogwart's professors.

McGonnagal.  Boy.  I would love to be her.  She knows her stuff, sets clear expectations, and never plays favorites.  Harry and Ron can never accuse her of being unfair.  Her punishments are just.  Her lessons are sound.  She has a bun that screams "no nonsense!"

Snape.   Okay, Snape is the worst teacher ever.  He uses sarcasm and his power to manipulate and harass, even embarrass.  Tempting as it may be to take a student down a few notches, and trust me-it's tempting, you can not do that in all good conscience.  Snape I wag my finger at you in shame, though you do have brilliant strokes when it comes to potion making.

Flitwick.  This is who I am most like.  It's tempting to talk in his class.  He doesn't notice much and often gets hit by misspoken spells.  He's tiny, but kind and decorates his classroom with fairy lights.  He's not intimidating, but still a very good teacher.

There you have it, your nerd fix for the day.

2 comments:

L said...

We need to find a way to get here.

http://scoop.today.com/_news/2011/03/04/6189160-pack-up-your-wands-for-tour-of-harry-potter-set-in-london-

Unknown said...

You should know that I grin from ear to ear anytime you post *anything* HP-related. :)