Saturday, May 12, 2012

Military Spouse Appreciation.


Today is meant to show appreciation to Military spouses.  I don't think I deserve too much appreciation.  In my opinion Nick is the real hero, but it is sometimes hard to live this life we live.  It's the small things that wear on you, not the big ones.

I'm reading "The Lucky One" because I saw the movie.  Zac Efron was in it so I had to see it because inside I am a middle school girl.  One passage stood out to me.

"Friends come and go, clothing is packed and unpacked, households are continually purged of unnecessary items, and as a result, not much sticks.  It's hard at times, but it makes a kid strong in ways that most people can't understand.  It teaches them that even though people are left behind, new ones will inevitably take their place; that every place has something good- and bad- to offer."

You know, I love the idea of making new friends, but not the idea that new friends will replace old friends.  Or at least in the loss of daily interactions and intimacy.

That's enough boo hoo-ing.  I'm going to go think about Zac Efron.  Wink!

2 comments:

Drea said...

You definitely deserve some appreciation! I am sending it to you!

Filia Dei said...

I'll say that it's hard to be on the other end. Living in a military town where some friends cycle in and out of your life. Especially in middle school.

Then, being an adult and making friends who are married to military people or who are in the military. It gets hard making friends and then seeing them move away.

Thankfully, we have facebook and e-mail and phones now. Well, facebook and e-mail. And texting.

Those friends that you make and can't live without, you will keep in touch. Some friends are friends for a season and some are friends for life. That doesn't make the one season friends any less valuable. They enrich and inform your life for a time.

That's all I have to say right now.

Auntie M